Ganoderma Lucidum(also known as reishi or lingzhi) belongs to the Polyporaceae group of the Fungi family.
Ganoderma works in the treatment of cancer because it helps cleanse the body from toxins and it helps strengthen the immune system. It enhances liver detoxification, thus improving liver function and stimulating the regeneration of liver cells – making it a very important supplement for those who have liver cancer.
The anti-cancer agents in Ganoderma are the polysaccharides and Germanium. The polyshaccharide fraction of Ganoderma is largely responsible for its anti-tumor efficacy. Indications for Ganoderma use in cancer include supplementation a) to reduce side-effects during chemotherapy or radiotherapy, b) to prolonging survival and minimize metastasis, c) to improve quality of life, and d) to prevent occurrence or recurrence.
Ganoderma can be used as a supplement during chemotherapy or radiotherapy to reduce side-effects such as fatigue, loss of appetite, hair loss, bone marrow suppression and risk of infection. It can also reduce the toxic and side effects and mitigate the pains during chemotherapy and radiotherapy, in particular to cancer patients at terminal stages for prolonging their lives and improving their living quality.
Qualities of Ganoderma that help in the adjuvant treatment of cancer include:
1) It enhances and helps regulate the immune and endocrine system, prevent tumors, improving the circulation and eliminating harmful free radicals.
2) Inhibits DNA synthesis of the cancer cells, destroys the terminal enzyme activity of the tumor cells, promotes macrophages and regulates T and B lymphocytes, thus restraining the spread of cancer cells.
3) It can also reduce the toxic and side effects and mitigate the pains during chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
4) Enhances liver detoxification, thus improving liver function and stimulating the regeneration of liver cells.
5) Helps with cancerous ascites, increases appetite and help relieve the pain of late stage cancer.
6) It is especially effective with kidney diseases.